The tragic murder of Kate Steinle allegedly by an illegal alien with seven convictions and five previous deportations demonstrates the clear danger that “sanctuary cities” pose to the safety of Americans. Indeed, the suspect admitted he went to San Francisco because he knew it is a sanctuary city-State and local jurisdictions with policies that obstruct immigration enforcement.
Fortunately, true immigration reformer Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) has introduced the Protecting American Lives Act (S. 1842) that denies federal funds to sanctuary cities that defy our duly enacted immigration laws. Specifically, S. 1842:
- Requires State and local jurisdictions to share information on criminal aliens with the Federal government;
- Requires State and local jurisdictions to collect information on criminal aliens with the Federal government;
- Requires the Federal government to issue ICE detainers and State and local jurisdictions to comply with them; and
- Establishes mandatory minimum sentences for illegal reentry.
We need your help NOW! Call your Senators and demand they cosponsor the Sessions bill.
Right now Congress is out for the annual August recess but we need to make sure passing the Protecting American Lives Act is the first order of business the Senate takes up when they return after Labor Day. Currently, only Sens. Ron Johnson (R-WI), Tom Cotton (R-AR), James Inhofe (R-OK), and Ted Cruz (R-TX) are cosponsors of the bill. Adding as many cosponsors as possible will send a clear message to Senate Leadership that S. 1842 is the top priority for the American people.
If Sens. Sessions, Johnson, Cotton, Inhofe, or Cruz are one of your Senators, please call and thank them for taking a stand to protect American lives. Otherwise, call your Senators and tell them:
- You OPPOSE sanctuary cities which ignore federal immigration laws and jeopardize American lives;
- You expect them to COSPONSOR the Protecting American Lives Act (S. 1842);
- You expect them to DEMAND Senate GOP Leadership put S. 1842 on the Senate floor as soon as they return from August recess; and
- You expect them to VOTE for S. 1842 when it receives a floor vote.
After you call your Senators, attend a town hall meeting they are speaking at and ask if they support the bill and will cosponsor it. Additionally, drop by the local office and let them know you support the Protecting Americans Lives Act and expect your Senators to go on record as supporting it by cosponsoring the bill.
Make your voice heard! To find your Senators, click here.
Source: IMMIGRATION REFORM BLOG