Dr. Raz Zimmt | ITIC
MAIN EVENTS OF THE WEEK
- Mohammad Ali Jafari, commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), said Iranian forces were not participating in the fighting in Mosul because the Shi’ite militias in Iraq did not need Iranian fighters. He said Iran had deployed a small number of advisors to Iraq. In a speech delivered for Basij Week, he criticized those who claimed Iran had to focus exclusively on its internal issues and not become involved in regional matters.
- Mohammad Hossein Bagheri, commander of the Iranian armed forces, said that in the future Iran might construct military bases along the Yemeni or Syrian coast to increase its naval capabilities in foreign waters.
- During the past two weeks three IRGC fighters were killed in combat in Syria. The director of the Iranian Shaheed Foundation said more than 1,000 fighters from Iran had been killed in Syria. The number apparently refers to IRGC fighters who lived in Iran and were deployed to Syria, among them citizens of Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- Senior Iranian officials expressed satisfaction with the military successes of the Syrian regime supporters in the eastern part of Aleppo during the past week.
- Hossein Dehqan, the Iranian defense minister, said that if necessary, Iran would again allow Russian fighter planes to carry out attacks in Syria from the Iranian air force base in Hamedan.
- Dozens of Iranian pilgrims returning to Iran from Iraq were killed in an ISIS attack at a gas station in the city of Hilla (about 100 kilometers, or 60 miles) south of Baghdad on November 24, 2016.
- Mohammed Reza Naqdi, commander of the IRGC’s Basij militia, told students in Tehran that Iran would liberate Palestine within ten years.